Atheist and religious quotes feature some great quotes from famous and infamous atheists and other historical figures. Some are funny, irreverent or insightful, these quotes on atheism, agnosticism and religion are a good resource for all free-thinkers.
Quotes from Non-theists
- Shake off all fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
- We are afraid of the known and afraid of the unknown. That is our daily life and in that there is no hope, and therefore every form of philosophy, every form of theological concept, is merely an escape from the actual reality of what is. All outward forms of change brought about by wars, revolutions, reformations, laws and ideologies have failed completely to change the basic nature of man and therefore of society.
- If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
- What I see in Nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of “humility.” This is a genuinely religious feeling that has nothing to do with mysticism.
- It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I also cannot imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere. … Science has been charged with undermining morality, but the charge is unjust. A man’s ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
Albert Einstein, “Religion and Science”, New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930
Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)
- It ain’t those parts of the Bible that I can’t understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand.
- “In God We Trust.” I don’t believe it would sound any better if it were true.
- A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows.
- What God lacks is convictions — stability of character. He ought to be a Presbyterian or a Catholic or something — not try to be everything.
- Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca (Seneca the Younger)
- Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
- Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.
- If God has made us in his image, we have returned him the favor.
- Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities.
- Which is it, is man one of God’s blunders or is God one of man’s?
- Faith means not wanting to know what is true.
- Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.
Quotes from Theists
- I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.